December 31, 2016

REVIEW| Gemina

Gemina (The Illuminae Files_02)
Amie Kaufman, Jay Kristoff



Rock the Boat

October 18th, 2016

Find on Goodreads

Synopsis:

Hanna Donnelly is the station captain’s pampered daughter and Nik Malikov is the reluctant member of a notorious crime family. Together they struggle with the realities of life aboard the galaxy’s most boring space station, blissfully unaware that Kady Grant and the Hypatia are headed right toward Heimdall with news of the Kerenza invasion.

My Review:

The Cover:

I feel like I don't have anything to add on the cover. It's very similar and follows a very similar formatting as used for Illuminae. Although, if I were to mention anything is I like how we have gone from an orange to what is essentially it's colour opposite.

The Content:

First thing first: DO NOT get confused with this as a direct sequel to Illuminae. Think it better as a companion that remains integral to move on to the third one. 

The thing about these characters is that they are EXTREMELY likable. I was rooting for them the whole way through this rollercoaster of a book. However, they were quite like your cliche characters types- Nik who is the typical "gang" member who is actually not what you think and then the captain's daughter. The only thing that kept me from rolling my eyes was that Kaufman and Kristoff managed to build these two characters as believable. 

That being said, it's the explosive plot that keeps me hooked from the start. We start with an obstacle which then gets built upon, layer by layer, until my nails begin breaking by how hard I'm gripping the pages. Eyes dragging along to find the resolution to each pile on conflict. 

To really understand why this is a case file you MUST read to the end of Gemina. I've just come to accept that those types of endings is what feeds the cruel minds of authors. Knowing they must be sustained allows me to move on. (Yes, this is the kind of bullshit I tell myself, on a nightly basis, in order to move on to the next book.) Gosh, darn it! 

Where is book three?

Anyone?

GET YOUR COPY:
| AMAZON UK | AMAZON US | BDP |

No comments:

Post a Comment